Saturday, June 21, 2014

Building a Keyhole Garden

Today I had the fortune to go to a free permaculture class where we built a keyhole garden at a local high school.  Part of joining the crew was bringing a homemade/homegrown potluck item.  Well, unfortunately as nicely as everything is growing in my garden, it's not very productive.  I thought about frying up the two green tomatoes, but that hardly puts a dent into the cast of 50 that might be there.  Any-who, after much debate, and scrapping a few ideas, (like a watermelon fruit salad carving), I decided to use up some canned fruit I had in my pantry.  Without further ado, I present:

Spiced Candied Orange Polenta Cake with Lavender

1 1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 c. ground almond meal
1/2 c. AP flour (I used this Cup4Cup recipe hack by Gluten Free on a Shoestring)
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 t. dried lavender (I pounded mine in a mortar and pestle to grind it up a little)

Mix this together

3 eggs
3/4 c. coconut oil (wanted to use EVOO, but ran out, since I used it up for plantain oil!)
3/4 c. caramelized candied orange slices (I used homemade, but try orange marmalade*)
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. almond milk (or whatever milk you have hanging around)
1/2 t. orange flower water

Mix this together.  Turn on oven to 350 degrees.  Let mix hydrate while oven preheats.  Grease standard loaf bread pan.  Bake for 40 minutes, or until center is set.

*If you use plain orange marmalade, try adding some cinnamon, cloves, cardamon, allspice, nutmeg and ginger to the mix.  Those are the spices in my candied oranges.

1 comments:

Sara said...

Cake is the best way to make friends.

xoxoxo

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com