Monday, November 24, 2014

Thankful

I wrote a lovely post about being thankful in my new iphone blogger app while taking my scorching morning bath, but alas, have lost the thing, having temporarily switched apps to research prices on Weber Ranch grills.  I kept waiting for it to say something like, "Have you lost something?" but alas, no such luck.  In case you must know, the Weber Ranch model averages $1300.  So, here we go.  Thankful.  Take 2.

My husband, ever the thrifty carnivore, took it upon himself to rummage through the Publix frozen turkey bin, where he found lurking at the very bottom of the freezer, a 28 pound turkey that some poor slob probably had the foresight to hide, but not to purchase.  If this person is you, dear reader, my apologies that you will have to buy two turkeys instead of one to feed the onslaught of siblings, nieces, nephews and cousins that will descend upon your home this Thursday.  My husband and I will be eating your turkey this day.  And the next, and the next, and the next...

That being said, I would like to share some things I am thankful for this year:


  • Family, Friends, and Pets
You are responsible for keeping my sanity, loving and supporting me, and I thank you all for that.  We couldn't have made it to year 2 without you.

  • Big Backyard
It seems funny that a backyard can change someone's life so much.  Over the year, we have acquired scrap wood, power tools, and a few gardens, along with lots of wildlife.  We are thankful that we can barbecue without climbing out the window, that there are always animal antics for entertainment, that I have a lovely herb garden to enhance my culinary creations and can have roasted marshmallows around the firepit whenever we want.  

  • Jobs
All jobs have their issues, but we're happy to have them.  Thank you full-time work with benefits and teacher raises.  Amen and hallelujah. 

So because we have this behemoth of a turkey, I've made the executive decision to spatchcock the sucker.
Not entirely sure it will even fit in a home oven, I'm sure we'll figure it out.  There is some thought to throwing it on the Weber 22", however, it may be too big for indirect heat, hence the Weber Ranch research.  That thing is 42".  It can fit a whole pig, if you're inclined to do such.  I'm sure my husband is.  I see the Weber Ranch in our distant future.  Or a reclaimed concrete block fire pit with scavenged grates.

Well, now I'm seriously procrastinating going to work.  It's only two days, I keep telling myself.  Just get through these two days, and December will FLY by.  Signing off :D

0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com