Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Life can sometimes suck...

Well, it's official. I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I knew it was coming, so it wasn't a surprise, but it's definitely going to take some getting used to the idea that I will be chronically ill to some degree for the rest of my life. The Golden Boy, (my rheumy) gave me 50,000 ius of Vit D to take for the next 8 weeks. He offered cortisone/novocaine injections, but I politely declined (something to the effect of "Hell no!")
I started an exercise regimen doing 10 minutes of yoga in the am to stretch out my f*ed up body and it seems to be helping. Today was day four. I also am trying to do a video which is basically walking around my living room for 15 minutes and then I've walked a mile two to three times a week. I think it's geared for the "Sweatin' to the Oldies" set, but hey, it's at my ability level for now, so a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. In order to stay motivated, I've developed a sticker-based motivational system where I get to put a number sticker in my agenda each day if I've attempted to/completed exercise. Just getting to put a sticker in my book is reinforcing enough, because it means I get to use the next consecutive number. If I miss a day, I have to start over from one. For days where I do the walking exercises or other new/challenging/different things, I get to put extra sparkly stickers in addition to my number on that day. I think that when I reach milestones, I will decide how to reward myself. For now, I think that I will exercise with a friend, or find a new video or something exercise-related to keep me on track and exited about my progress. I've also been eating a little better, making sure I eat breakfast and more fruits/veggies throughout the day. I have an appointment with a PT on Friday, and look forward to it. The therapist is a good colleague of the Golden Boy and seems really friendly. Hopefully, he'll work out some of the knots in my shoulders/neck/back and it will help when I exercise.

No knitting lately. Been tired and my fingers and hands hurt, especially today after wrestling with an adorably cute but dangerous pinching student with autism. I think my fingers got bent back somehow when I was trying to get him to sit down in his chair instead of inflicting the deadly Vulcan pinch on me. Is it Friday yet?

0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com