Monday, December 29, 2008

R and R

Well, today was not quite as busy as days past.  I contacted the WildMan Steve Brill to see if I could set a date for a dye forage.  We are tentatively scheduled for October 5, but nothing is confirmed.  In the meantime, I'm learning all I can about natural dyes.  I don't want to be a point person for an activity I know nothing about.   Maybe I'll go to the park and look for polypores to play with.  

Here's what I actually did.  I went to see my MIL, took a nap, and went to hang with Spin City. It was really nice to hang out with MagicStix and play show and tell. It seems qiviut is the fiber of the hour. It's super soft and luxurious. None for me until I can whittle down my stash. Next year, I would love a subscription to A Verb for Keeping Keep Warm.  The roving there is to die for!  I love all the soft colors.  I think they are what made me interested in natural dyeing.  I don't dabble much in sampling wool, but I heard that this year's Featured Sheep Breed is Leicester Longwool.  OMG!  Just like at Colonial Williamsburg!  I was super excited.  It seems that this sheep does not have a good reputation for the spinners in my area.  I guess the wool is a bit rough compared to, say quiviut and merino.  Oh well.  I would love to get my hands on some.  Little by little, I will learn.
Lastly, I finally got my hands on the Stitch and Pitch bags.  I was like a kid in a candy store.  (Saber, stop purring over my shoulder!)  In any case,  I got some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino, an few sample skeins of ArtYarn, some Moda Dea Dream, Red Hear Foxy,   Sirdar Snuggly, Austermann Samoa, KnitLites needles, size 9 and 15, and a few patterns.  Oh, I almost forgot, some Caron Simply Soft, and some safety orange yarn.  Woo hoo.  Camo bikini-here I come!  It was like Christmas all over!

0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com