Friday, January 23, 2009

National Pie Day

Happy National Pie Day! It's a little depressing that the s'MACdown kind of sidetracked me and I was not prepared for the email reminder from my calendar that today is Pie Day. In years past, my family has gathered to join in the revelry of pie eating and original pie literature. (No, you cannot eat until you say some words about pie!) It's always been a smashing success, when I can pull it off, but it's a lot of hard work and takes about three days of preparation. Most times, there are about 9 different pies involved, just from my kitchen! The goal is to have appetizer pies, main course pies, and dessert pies. Pies can be made of filo dough, puff pastry, and pie dough. We use the term "pie" loosely, but not so loosely to say that pizza is a pie. It is not. Turnovers can be pies; they are more like the original pies. Also, I try to make an assortment of dessert pies. Fruit pies, cream pies, custard pies, chocolate pies, nut pies; all are represented. This year, Pie Day is a tad overlooked in my house. :( If I don't babysit tonight, I will have a mini pie day. And I might add, DH HATES pie. There are only two pies he will eat, pot pie and shepherd's pie, lite on the veg. What spirit mocks me so to give me a husband who abhors pie and dessert and vegetables? Ahh, such is the mystery of life. We've been working on muffins, though, and he's becoming more flexible about them. It makes me happy.

0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com