Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Lazy and ambitious.  Can those things go together?  Today I stayed home and started on my New Year's Sweater.  I'm very excited.  It's Baby Cables and Big Ones, too.  It's a top down yoked sweater with disappearing cabled.  The yoke is in garter stitch and the body is stockingette.  It was so awesome to finish the first cable in one day!  I have a loooong way to go, but am off to a great start.   I also dyed some stuff today.   I had some Lamb's Pride Bulky (no wonder I liked it, the mohair was calling to me!)  in a tuquoise color.  Not my fave.  I overdyed in the kettle with royal blue food coloring and yellow food coloring to mix it up a little bit.  I can't do the solid color thing anymore!  I want to paint the world!!!  Well, I wasn't too satisfied with the Lion's Pride, so I was toying with the idea of mixing up some serious blue and trying again, or saddening the color with a little orange.  We'll see when it dries.  It's very close to the original color to me.  I should have saved a piece to compare, but I took a picture.  (You know how great my pictures are!)  Before I messed with the dyebath, which was not exhausted,  I decided to throw some gray fleece in.  The color didn't show up, and the yellowed tips turned green.  Then I threw caution to the wind and added most of the leftover fuschia Lanaset mix from the other day, hoping to get a burgundy color.  Success!  I got a purpley-winey color that will ply nicely with the grey/multicolor roving I'm spinning right now!  I'd like to make a cabled or fair isle vest with it.  Next on my list will be hunter green.  Lastly, because the dyebath STILL wasn't exhausted, I grabbed a length of merino roving, twisted it lightly into a "skein" and plopped that in.  The color that it started out was a variegated blue/lilac.  Very nice.  I'm going to let that cool overnight in the dyebath and check it out in the morning.  So even though I didn't leave the house, I still got a lot of stuff done!


blog template by